Tuesday 25 December 2012

Silver Screen


As I sit here nomming my delicious Present Day feast (full Ukrainian spread; cue jealously), there will inevitably be a movie playing in the background. It’s just how it’s done at my house. Since I already watched all the Harry Potter movies this holiday season, this year’s marathon choice will be Lord of the Rings! Yayyyyy Hobbits and elves and Gollum and Aragorn! But there were plenty of other good movies out this year, and here are my top five!

Thusfar Daniel Craig is my favourite James Bond, and I think this is my top pick of all the Bond films. It’s kind of sad that it’s Dame Judy Dench’s last one in the franchise, but at least she goes out with a bang! New life goal: buy a Scotch manorhouse on the Highland moors. Quote: "Where the hell have you been?" "Enjoying death. 007 reporting for duty."

Avengers
I hated (or barely tolerated) all the previous Marvel-based films, but for some reason the combination of all the characters worked better. Though I’m pretty sure it was all just because of Loki. Mmm Tom Hiddleston. Never stop being pretty. Quote: "I don't play well with others."

I’ve talked about this film far too much already this year, since I’ve covered it in fashion and in music, but seriously the actual film is pretty magical. I know it got panned by the critics, but it’s really entertaining so they can just shut it! Quote: "I know me better than anyone... because I live in here... and no one else can."

I’ve always had a soft spot for Dr. Seuss, so it’s no wonder that I loved the latest version of this story. The songs are a little bit corny, but the graphics are stunning and the green-earth message is more relevant today than ever. I wish real trees looked like the ones in the movie though… Quote: "On behalf of the trees: get out!"

Normally I find teen-angst driven movies to be extremely annoying, but this one was actually extremely well done. It’s sad and funny and sarcastic and real all at the same time, and I really really need to read the novel. Quote: "We accept the love we think we deserve."

No comments:

Post a Comment