Thursday 3 March 2011

Oh, the Places I'll go!

As a dreary February bid us goodbye with a final dump of snow in what should be almost-springtime Victoria, I came to a stunning realization; in exactly 6 months time my life will be entirely different. As some of you know already, I’ve been accepted to grad school at Dalhousie (which is in Halifax, Nova Scotia for the geographically challenged). Once again I’m going to pick up my life, and move for school. I already did a big move once from Kamloops to Victoria, but this move might prove to be a little bit more of a transition than before. The fact that I might be moving to a city which resides on the exact opposite side of the country from my present city is going to be a big enough change, but it gets better!

Unlike the move from Kamloops to Victoria, I’m not downsizing from my bedroom at my parents’ house to a dorm room: I’m going straight to another apartment, so there’s going to be a lot more stuff to move. I am now in possession of a decent amount of furniture, among those pieces being 3 huge bookshelves. Thankfully the books will not be coming with me to wherever I move to, but will only be making the trip to Kamloops and will be integrated into my book collection at home. My bed, which I’ve had since I was a child, is also going to make its way home to Kamloops. It’s a nice bed and all (handmade by my grandfather and dad with nice storage drawers underneath), but I feel that it is time for me to have a real-person-sized bed and not a twin. I don’t even care if I have a frame/base for it, I’ll be happy with a giant mattress on the floor so I can pretend I’m living in Japan!

What keeps my mother up at night is the prospect of having to move all of my shoes. She was horrified to discover that I wanted to take all of my shoes with me when I moved to Victoria, but the collection has grown quite a bit since then. But I have complete faith that I will figure out a way to pack up my 100+ pairs of shoes and get them safely to my new city. I’m more concerned about finding an apartment with a spare closet that I can dedicate to my boxes of shoes so that they’re not piled in a corner or my living room…

Of course, living in a new city means that there will be entirely new places to discover, and that means new stores to cruise and new fashion discoveries to be made! There’s nothing like the thrill of finding a new store, or realizing that there’s a branch of my favourite store closer to home than I thought J

The best part of going back to grad school is that I will once again be employed. And very happily, I will mention. I don’t care that I’ll be amassing thousands of dollars in student loans and eating away at my savings accounts, since I will no longer have to put up with the negative aspects of having a job.  No more (passive-aggressive) bullying from management, no more poorly behaved customers, and no more spending my precious time and only earning a meager wage in return!

The worst part of the move is that once again I will be without my social group. It took me almost 2 years in Victoria to find friends who were worth my time, and now I have to leave them whether I like it or not. I’m sure they’ll be fine without me, but it’s going to be weird for them to not have me around. This is where you all start pouting by the way <3



No comments:

Post a Comment