Tuesday 5 February 2013

Hi, I'm a Mac


Whenever the topic of computers comes up in conversation I inevitably find myself under fire because I have an Apple computer, I’ve always had Apple computers, and I would never dream of switching to anything but another Apple computer. Yes, I realize this makes me an active member of the so-called “Cult of Mac,” but let me just explain a little something to you: I DON’T CARE! I happen to enjoy being a card-carrying member and advocate for the brand because I genuinely like Macs, and nothing you can say is ever going to make me change my mind for the following reasons.

My Mac does exactly what I need it to do. It has multiple internet browsers, plenty of Office-type programs, and a plethora of creative software for making music, movies, photography, and art. The only thing that my Mac doesn’t do is gaming. But, let me ask you this: do I want to play computer games? No. No I do not! If I want something fun to do I’ll go find a book or watch a movie. Everything else that your PC can do, my Mac can do, and chances are it can do it better. Case and point: database management software. Who needs Microsoft Access when we have Filemaker Pro?

I know you shouldn’t judge a something by it’s cover, but let’s take a moment to be honest here. We’re all pretty shallow when it comes to visual appeal, and I’m no different. How an Apple computer looks might not appeal to you, but it appeals me (just like I don’t find your boyfriend attractive, but you do). Aesthetics are different for everyone, and I don’t judge you for your choices, so you can just shut up about mine!

Unlike most people who I’ve argued with about Macs vs. Windows, I have actually used many (far too many) Windows computers so I have a basis for comparison. I’ve learned the ins and outs of how to work the systems of my opposing council, but I still find them lacking when compared to how my Mac works. It’s not just a situation of “this is what I was raised with, and therefore I have a bias.” Windows, ,you have been judged, and you have been found lacking. I bet that the majority of you who would argue staunchly that Windows is better have never laid a finger on a Mac, much less been forced into learning the amount of Window’s based software that I have. So go ahead, I dare you, to learn the Mac operating system. Then we can talk.

Don’t even get me started on Windows 8…

4 comments:

  1. yes! thank you. I recently had an avid windows user (who's a gamer) try to tell me I bought the wrong computer. Then he tried to tell me photoshop was originally written for windows (it wasn't) and runs better on windows (not in my experience). And I was raised on windows. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly the problem with Windows people! They run around proclaiming "Windows is the best Windows is the best" without actually doing their research or trying the Apple system! Photoshop was made for Windows... what a ridiculous fallacy. I hope you told him off!

      Delete
  2. i didn't, because he was installing our server and new computers at work, but in my head i was like "Incorrect, sir!" And he's a really nice guy, so i let him go on being wrong. I feel that that's punishment enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, that is a good punishment. He shall learn the error of his way eventually.

      Delete