Thursday 24 May 2012

Dragontamer, Historian, Magician, Storyweaver (Y is for Jane Yolen)

image from Jacket Flap
image from Steven Silver's Reviews
We're going back to my childhood again for this post, because Jane Yolen was a pretty important writer in my library stacks. I've read pretty much everything she's ever written, and a lot of her stories remain my favourites to this day. The series that always comes to mind when I hear her name is the Pit Dragon Trilogy, which I read over and over and over, and still have multiple copies of in my collection. It's typical fantasy, with a teenage protagonist, who befriends a fighting dragon and brings himself out of a life of indentured servitude. But it's still a good read, for all it's minor clichés. More recently I finally got around to reading Briar Rose, which is a re-telling of the story of Sleeping Beauty, but with themes involving the Holocaust, family history, and the lies parents tell their children. It's a kind of strange story, and I'm not sure if I entirely get it, so I'm going to have to go back and re-read it at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment