Thursday 10 May 2012

The Quest for Books

image from here
My Quest for Books - yes I meant to capitalize the "q" in Quest and the "b" in Books - is neverending. I've always kept lengthy (and sometimes slightly unachievable) lists of the books I want to read. Case and point: I actually think that somewhere down the road I'll finish the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. I guarantee I've read more than 1001 books already, but that list is pretty intense. It has approximately a dozen Charles Dickens' and as many Margaret Atwood's (my two least favourite authors), Tolstoy's War and Peace, Joyce's Ulysses, and some truely tedious books by contemporary authors that I'm not sure how they made the list. Thankfully it also has The Lord of the Rings, Süskind's Perfume, and hidden gems that are oddly entrancing like A Confederacy of Dunces by Toole.

And then when I get tired of reading Literature-with-a-capital-L I've found Good Reads to be completely addicting. All my random and extravagant lists, plus recommendations to make the lists even more ridiculous. Though I think they're quite confused at the random selection of books that I've given five star ratings to... But I figure variety is the spice of life, and the same applies to books. Reading phases are great, but mixing it up ensures that I never ever get bored of my reading material. And I can't ever get tired of books because what kind of Librarian would I be then?

No comments:

Post a Comment