Saturday 17 September 2011

N is for Nickelback

JUST KIDDING. I would never do that to you darlings. Everyone knows how much I despise those greasy, clichéd, country-playing sellouts.

Instead I'm going to introduce you to a band that by talent-rights should be far more well known than the unmentionable N, but for some reason aren't: Narcotic Thrust. Possibly their own fault for not releasing actual studio EPs, and only singles, but I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that they hit the pop-electronica mash-up style a few years ahead of the mainstream, so they didn't get any airplay. I'm sure they're super popular in a bunch of little European countries, since the genre has been going far stronger over there than in North America, but it would have been nice to see more Narcotic Thrust in general.

I first heard their song "When the Dawn Breaks" in grade 12 when my BFF Aina had it on an album in her car. Because of this, the song will forever remind me of the two of us skipping class (study period for me and drama for her, so no big academic loss don't worry) to go shopping for shoes and get slushies. Yes, if you're wondering, this was when my shoe and fashion addiction got started, so you can all thank Aina for that! But memories aside, the song is amazing. It's not too electronic, it's not too pop, and it has just enough distinctive guitar to classify as touching on the rock genre (my version is a little more guitar heavy than the video for some reason). Every single person that I've ever made listen to the song has really liked it, unless they don't like electronica of course, so I'm telling you to go listen to it! Ignore the slutty dancing girls in the video, just listen to the song!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment