Saturday 31 December 2011

Show Don't Tell

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2


Apparently our childhoods all ended with the release of the final Harry Potter movie this summer. Boy am I glad that Harry Potter didn’t define my childhood then, because I don’t plan on ever letting go of it. Sure, I like Harry Potter just fine, and the last movie did make my top 5 movies of 2011, but I got really sick of hearing people obsess about it. It’s just a fucking movie. If that’s all you have to remember your childhood by, then I feel really sorry for you. But anyways, the movie was pretty good, though it could have done without being 3D. It wasn’t filmed in 3D, just converted, so the effect isn’t quite the same, and honestly it would have been just fine in regular old 2D like the rest of the films. Best quote: Minerva McGonagall “I’ve always wanted to use that spell!”


I’ve always loved the whole Fast and Furious franchise, but the latest installment is definitely my favourite so far. I went with Aina and Beth and Adin on opening night in Kamloops, and it was well worth it! The stunts are ridiculous, the action sequences are flawless, and the heist was amazing. All of the best characters from the previous films are brought back, so the film is like one big reunion of ridiculous proportions. Ludacris is missing his ‘fro (damn) we don’t really get to see any classic drifting from Han, Paul Walker aka Brian O’Connor wears his shirt far too much, but we get to see Dwayne Johnson at his most badass. The facial hair is kind of laughable, but damn his character is awesome otherwise. As per usual, every time I watch this type of film I want to go drag race, but then I remember I have no car, and I don’t want to go to jail… Best quote: Roman Pearce “This shit just went from mission: impossible to mission: in-freaking-sanity!”


Ethan Hunt is about to face his biggest challenge yet. The IMF has been disbanded, he’s stuck with a crew of green agents with barely any equipment, and the world is on the brink of nuclear warfare. I was SO HAPPY when I heard they were doing a fourth movie in the Mission Impossible series! The last one was brilliant, and left the story in a really good place, but I like a good spy-thriller, and Ethan Hunt is one of my favourite spy guys (Bond will always be first obviously), so it was nice to hear that Tom Cruise had signed on to do another film before he gets too old. I don’t know what they’re going to do when he gets actually old, because he is so intrinsically Ethan Hunt. Hopefully, when ever they decide to replace him, he stays on as one of the producers and makes sure they don’t destroy the role because that would be super depressing. Best quote: Ethan Hunt “Mission accomplished!”


Not all of my favourite films were action-thrillers this year, which is why I chose The Inbetweeners film to provide a little comedy to the list. It’s the conclusion of the 3 season British television series of the same name, as the four boys who spent high school together go on vacation in Crete to celebrate their freedom after graduation. The film is full of hilarious and ridiculous moments that could only happen to these poor guys, who can never seem to get it quite right. All they want to do in Crete is party, drink, and get laid, but their antics and ridiculous behavior complicate things slightly… If you want some laughs, this is definitely a movie you should check out because it’s nothing less than ridiculous. Though I should warn you, the guys are kind of a bunch of twats with filthy language and a penchant for being inadequately clothed… Best quote: Will McKenzie (as narrator) “So smelling like an industrial accident in a Lynx factory and looking like the world's shittest boyband, we hit the town.”


I can’t gush enough about how amazing this movie is so I’m just going to give you a list of amazing things about it. 1: Bradley Cooper. 2: Bradley Cooper shirtless. 3: Bradley Cooper in a suit. 4: Amazing cinematography. 5: Complete mind fuck plot. 6: Based on a great novel. 7: Did I mention Bradley Cooper shirtless? Best quote: Eddie Morra “I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur.”

Sidenote: the images are all from IMDB, as are the header links. 

No comments:

Post a Comment