Sunday 23 March 2014

Lady of the Dance: a (Confessions) Sunday Shoe Story


I have a confession to make. 

When I was a child I did Irish dance. Yes, that’s right, the stuff you heard about during the  Riverdance fad that swept the world in the mid- to late-90s. Ankle turning, toe-pointing, hard-stepping and all. 

It was shameful, but I went along with it at the time because I was a big fan of Riverdance (before the endless repetition of the music and my stage fright got to me) and my Irish roots urged me to dance. Thankfully I’ve been able to keep my toes in check in recent years, but I can still recognize a Riverdance song or a step a mile away. I wasn’t even surprised when we tuned in to a radio station with “traditional” Irish music on St. Patty’s Day at work and they were playing “Lord of the Dance.” Maybe Riverdance is just following me, since it was also a feature of the only Olympics clip I watched from the Sochi 2014 games (from a rather disappointing figure-skating routine). 


Apparently you can take the girl out of the ghillie shoes (that’s what Irish dancing shoes are called), but you can’t take the ghillie shoes out of the girl… And if I have to suffer with endless Irish dance music running through my head you do too! (muahahahaha, you’re welcome).


image from Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment