Saturday 9 June 2012

Fiery Fingertips

I’ve run out of straight up reds, oranges, and yellows to swatch, so I decided to try my hand at a more complicated manicure to fit the Aries/astrology/fire theme I have going this week. Thankfully I’m pretty good with a paintbrush already, or creating flames on my nails would have been really difficult. Though doing this pretty much killed one of my good paintbrushes, since nail polish does NOT come out of natural fibers like acrylic, tempera, or oil paint does… Next time: plastic fiber paintbrush! Besides the brush issues, creating this manicure was pretty easy. I just chose 3 complimentary shades of nail polish (in this case China Glaze “China Rouge,” “Life Preserver,” and “Happy Go Lucky”), did a double coat of the yellow as a base, then a layer of orange flames, then a layer of red flames, and a coat of Seche Vite topcoat to seal it all up. Starting with the lightest colour is necessary because lighter colours are obviously not going to show up as well over darker colours of polish (just like with normal paints), but either than that it’s a pretty straightforward manicure to do. Because I suck at painting with my left hand I only did my accent nail with flames on my right hand, but it still looked really neat breaking up the straight up yellow nails!




No comments:

Post a Comment